Who should consider lip surgery?
Those people who feel that their lips are too thin and want fuller lips, or those who feel self-conscious about how their lips look might consider lip surgery. Some reasons to consider lip enhancement are:
- When lips have always been thin
- If lips disappear with a smile
- Fuller lips will help balance out the face
- If a person feels self-conscious about the appearance of the lips
Am I a Candidate for Lip Surgery in Los Angeles or Orange County?
If a person wants to plump up thin lips, they would be a good candidate for lip surgery. In contrast, if a person’s lips are too large and are overwhelming to the face, lip reduction surgery can be performed. A person in good general health, with a positive attitude, and realistic expectations are the best candidates for this procedure.
What Happens During Lip Surgery?
There are several different types of lip enhancement. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help patients understand their unique needs for lip surgery. Injections and surgery are a few different ways to alter the lips.
- Fat transfer – During fat transfer, fat from the patient’s body is taken through liposuction and injected into the lips.
- Fillers – A filler made from natural or synthetic biocompatible materials act as a substitute for fat and injected into the lips. This type of injection is temporary.
- Dermal Graft – A dermal graft is a permanent augmentation to the lips. Using a surgical technique, the lip is advanced forward with incisions made inside the mouth. From the deep layers of the skin, a dermal-fat graft is taken and positioned under the lining of the lip (mucosa). This procedure adds plumpness to the lips.
- Vermillion advancement – During this procedure, an incision is made along the border of the pigmented portion of the lips. A strip of skin is removed outside the border of the lips and the colored part of the lip is increased to the area of the lips.
- Lip implant – Through tiny incisions inside the corners of the mouth, lip implants are inserted. Many options for natural or synthetic implants are available.
- Lip lift – If a downward or sloping mouth is a concern, removing the extra skin along with lifting the lips will fix this problem. Small incisions are made on the side of the mouth and the extra skin removed. Tiny sutures are removed four or five days later. If an increase to the upper lip is wanted, an incision is made under the nose and the skin pulled up. The upper lip can also be shortened to expose more teeth.
How Long Does It Take to Recover from Lip Surgery?
Immediately after lip surgery, a patient will experience some bruising and swelling. Cold compresses can be applied to assist with swelling, bruising, and pain. A liquid diet is administered for a couple of days. Activities are also restricted for a few days.
Depending on the type of procedure performed, recovery time will vary. However, after a couple of weeks a patient should be able to return to work or school. Stitches are removed in four to six days. Inside the mouth sutures will dissolve in the same amount of time. Diet restrictions may be implemented for up to ten days. After a month, vigorous physical activity can be resumed.
If you are interested in lip surgery in the Los Angeles or Orange County area, contact Dr. Siamak Agha. Dr. Agha is a highly board certified plastic surgeon who is qualified to perform your lip surgery. Dr. Agha is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Orange County Society of Plastic Surgeons, and a diplomat for the American Board of Plastic Surgeons. Call Dr. Agha’s office today for a free consultation.