Possible Medical Benefits of Your Tummy Tuck
Keep in mind that the tummy tuck is and will always be a plastic surgery procedure first, and should only be used by those that have proven it will be a benefit to their psychological health. However, some additional reasons to consider the tummy tuck include:
- Hernia Correction – During a tummy tuck, your doctor can find and repair any abdominal hernias that you have been struggling with, and strengthen the abdominal wall to help you potentially prevent future hernias from occurring. This is especially beneficial for those that were formerly tummy tuck obese, and may have a weakened abdominal wall.
- Less Stomach Stress – Exercise is the key to keeping weight off, but the stress that weight and movement causes on your body can be very real. That extra stomach fat and skin can cause feelings of illness when you find yourself running or playing sports, and even when you sit down it may be leading to pressure on your stomach that could lead to health issues.
- Reduction of Urinary Stress – According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the tummy tuck may also be beneficial for those that have been struggling with urinary stress and incontinence due to weight. Not only can a safe bladder obstruction be used to prevent incontinence, but the thinner and healthier stomach may put less pressure on the bladder as well.
- Improved Posture – During abdominoplasty, the stomach muscles are tightened. This, in turn, can help you improve your posture and your core strength. Your spine will get better support, and in some cases you may experience less back pain/discomfort.
- Less Sweat/Bacterial Buildup – Flaps of fat can unfortunately lead to the buildup of sweat, bacteria, and even some fungi. Though not generally “unsafe,” this can lead to skin irritation, itching, and possibly infections in some rare cases. Removing this excess skin decreases the skin flaps, and thus creates a less hospitable environment for microbes.
Though the is primarily a cosmetic procedure, there are some reasons to believe that it has added benefits for those that are looking to better manage their health as well, and often these benefits can be considered by those that have been looking at tummy tucks as a possible surgical option.
To learn more about tummy tucks, and other body lift procedures in Orange County and Los Angeles, contact Plastic Surgery Body Contouring Center today at 949-644-2442.