Not everyone is born with the full lips of Angelina Jolie. For many people, undergoing lip augmentation with a board-certified plastic surgeon such as Dr. Siamak Agha is a good way to create of fuller lips. Lip augmentation also reduces the fine lines and wrinkles that are found around the mouth, particularly as women age.
Orange County plastic surgeon Dr. Agha offers a myriad of injectables, implants, and surgical treatments for lip augmentation. These are described below.
- Hyaluronic-based fillers such as Juvederm & Restylane – These synthetic materials mimic a natural body substance found in the skin called hyaluronic acid
- Collagen – a natural material extracted from cow's skin
- Dermalogen – a natural material from donor tissue
- Fat – your own liposuctioned fat from sites such as thighs or abdomen
Depending on your desire and goals, when Dr. Agha uses fillers for lip augmentation, he injects the fillers artistically into the lip aesthetic segments to produce a customized and natural result.
- Fascia – uses a type of connective tissue from your own body. The main disadvantage of this method is that most of the fascia will absorb after 6 months or so. Thus, the results will not be permanent.
- Lip implants- a number of lip implants are available. Most are synthetic materials that are placed through small incisions at the inner corner of the mouth. The produce a permanent result.
- Local flap grafts – surgical procedure in which tissue and skin from inside of the mouth is used to enhance lips. Is not a preferred choice and is often a last resort
Deciding on Lip Augmentation
After speaking with Dr. Agha about which treatment is right for you, a candidate for lip augmentation must first make sure that she is in perfect health before the procedure. Those with cold sores, scarring on the lips, or diseases, like lupus or diabetes, are not good candidates for the procedure. Anyone with a condition which causes blood clotting problems should also abstain from lip augmentation. Those with allergies to collagen and implants need to inform Dr. Agha before electing to have lip augmentation. Smokers are particularly vulnerable to developing certain complications. Medical history is very important and will be thoroughly reviewed by the doctor.
Recovery time is dependent upon the type of procedure selected. For injections, recovery time is only a few hours or a day. Bruising or swelling may last a little longer. For implants, recovery time after surgery can last for two weeks. Healing time is different for each person electing to have lip augmentation.
Insurance will occasionally cover the expense of lip augmentation, but only if the procedure is deemed necessary for reconstruction purposes after an accident, injury, or due to a birth defect. For the most part, lip augmentation is not covered by insurance.
More about Dr. Siamak Agha
Dr. Siamak Agha is a board certified plastic surgeon who performs a range of aesthetic procedures for the skin, face, body and breasts. Over the years, he has built a reputation as a top liposuction, abdominoplasty and breast implants Newport Beach surgeon. In addition, he performs delicate facial procedures such as face lift, nose surgery and eyelid lift. To learn more or to schedule a consultation, contact his practice today at 949-644-2442.